Quinoa has been a sacred and important crop for the Inca Empire that they referred to it as the “mother of all grains”. Today, it has become increasingly popular among health-conscious people, and is considered to be another superfood.
Quinoa is an edible seed that is loaded with many important nutrients. Rich in fiber, minerals, antioxidants and all nine essential amino acids, quinoa is one of the healthiest and most nutritious foods on the planet.
Studies have shown that it can improve metabolic strength by reducing blood sugar, insulin and triglyceride levels, which have all been linked to weight loss and improved health.
Quinoa can also help you fight aging. It reduces brown spots because it contains enzymes that decrease pigmentation. Anti-aging vitamins A and B found in quinoa help reduce fine lines and wrinkles and promote skin elasticity to keep you looking young and healthy. And of course, with quinoa being packed full of antioxidants, they help you fight free radicals that cause aging and other serious diseases.
What’s more, it’s naturally gluten-free, delicious, versatile and incredibly easy to prepare.
Here’s a yummy and nutritious recipe that is a perfect side dish for tonight’s dinner.
Spinach and Mushroom Quinoa Salad
- 1 pound mushrooms
- (white or cremini, sliced thinly)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon butter unsalted (omit butter for vegan version)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 green onions chopped
- 10 oz spinach fresh
- 2 cups quinoa cooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil optional
- Add mushrooms and garlic and saute over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes until mushrooms get soft and acquire a nice, golden-brown color. Add chopped green onions and mix. Season with salt.
- Add fresh spinach to the skillet, reduce heat to low, cover the skillet with the lid and let mushrooms and spinach cook for about 1 minute or less, just until spinach begins to wilt.
- Add 2 cups of cooked quinoa to the skillet and cook on low heat for another minute until spinach wilts even more and quinoa warms up. Season with salt, if needed. Add another tablespoon of olive oil, if desired.
Keep adding this superfood to your diet and reap the rewards of having great health and great skin from quinoa.