One of the most important things about working out that I can’t stress enough is the benefit of a good stretch pre and post. Supplementary and arguably more important, stretching will help waken up your muscles and prepare you for any physical strain a workout may impose. These exercises are designed to both put you in the best frame of mind before a workout and to help relieve any stresses on the mind and body. All you need is 5 minutes and some floor space and you’re good to go.
If you’re working at a computer all day or doing any kind of ongoing activity that limits your movement, this is perfect for getting the blood flowing to the brain and to loosen up the muscles around the base of our neck.
- Gently tilt your head toward your right shoulder as if you were trying to reach your shoulder with your ear. Stop when you feel the stretch. Try to limit all movement in your shoulder
- Hold the stretch for 5-10 seconds, then return to the start position.
- Repeat on your left side. You can do several sets and work your way up to 10 repetitions.
Arm over body
This exercise is going to loosen up the shoulders as well as the arms and it is going to feel amazing!
- Take your right arm and cross it over your chest, holding it in place with your left arm. Hold in position when you feel the stretch in your shoulder.
- Hold for 30 seconds.
- Return to centre and repeat with your left arm.
Bent arm shoulder stretch
This will again help stretch out your shoulder, particularly your deltoids, and also your triceps. This stretch will also help relieve any pain in those areas.
- Take your right arm and bring it overhead.
- Gently bend the elbow at 90 degrees so your forearm is reaching down your shoulder blades.
- To help stretch even further, place your left hand on your elbow, gently applying pressure. Stop when you feel the stretch.
- Hold for 30 seconds and return to centre.
- Repeat with your left arm.
Front hip flexors
This stretch is incredibly healing. Opening up the hip flexors will help us release past trauma. It also feels amazing!
- Place your right leg in front of your body on the floor, and bend at 90 degrees (if you can!) with your left leg stretched out behind you.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds and release back to centre.
- Repeat with your left leg.
Targeting the quads, glutes and hamstrings, the frog squat is excellent stretch to help shape and tone.
- You can begin this exercise either standing or sitting.
- Lower yourself into a squat position, with feet slightly wider than shoulder width and your feet pointing out.
- Make sure your knees are bent higher that 90 degrees, so your glutes are almost touching the floor.
- Hold this position for 1 minute or until failure.
Doing these simple exercises each and every day will help us stay fit, strong and motivated. Studies show as we get older our flexibility decreases by 50%. Our bodies get old and it’s up to us to make sure we do everything we can to not let this happen. While you’re doing these exercises, I want you all to remember how awesome you are! You are here, you’re achieving so much and you should feel so proud.
I would love to hear your thoughts on these exercises and any workouts you may want covered in the future.
Welcome to Fabulous 50s! My name is Schellea and I’m so glad you’re here.
Fabulous 50s is a platform designed to help women over 50 fall in love with themselves. As an energetic 50-something-year-old myself, I truly believe that 50+ can be the best time of our lives! Through Fabulous 50s, I share fashion, beauty, wellness and lifestyle tips to help women get inspired and stay motivated.
FEMALE HAIR LOSS Women are faced with pressures each and every day from family, career and societal norms that more often than not we are expected to fit into. We feel like we need to be ‘on’ all the time. It’s sometimes hard to live up to expectations, and the struggle can lead to exhaustion […]
DRESSING FOR AN INVERTED TRIANGLE BODY TYPE Oftentimes when we’re shopping for a new outfit, heading to the changeroom to try on that beautiful new piece, we find that what looked flattering and elegant on the rack doesn’t sit quite right on our bodies. There are certain undeniable, fundamental rules to dressing and if you […]
Don’t forget to follow me on social media!
I would love to connect with you.
Take a look at my other content for women over 50!
Want to see more from fabulous 50s?
Until Next Time . . . Stay Fabulous!
Do you want fabulous 50s blog posts and videos sent straight to your inbox?
Disclaimer: This content is not sponsored and all opinions are 100% my own. If I LOVE a product first, and there is an affiliate link available, I will use it. However, I will NOT look for a product that pays a commission first, and then do a review…EVER!
Some links are affiliate links. If you click a link and buy something, I may receive a small commission for the sale. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and you are free to use the link or not. Its totally up to you. If you do use my links…Thank you so much xxx